Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Swing

I put together lists for everything. I don't like to forget things. I like to be prepared. At the top of my camping list is the word 'Swing'.

There was a camping trip, years ago, where I forgot the swing. We had a great trip. But you don't know what you are missing until you miss it...and we missed the swing.

Little Tikes Disc Swing is the name on the product. We got it at Wal-Mart for less than $20.00. It is a plastic disc on a rope. The rope is only about 10 feet in length, so I had to add to it.

The swing provides fun and entertainment for all. I can't help it. When I pull up to a camping site I search for a good flat place for my tent and I scan the trees for a perfect branch. As well, I take into my subconscious a location for my hammock, a grown man's swing.

I found a tree that had a thick branch forking off about 25 feet above the ground. I found a rock that could be tied to the end of the rope. On the third throw, the rope followed the rock over the branch in the correct spot. I untied the rock. I tied that same end around the trunk of the tree so the swing was at the right height. Marlee beat Tay and Ky to calling, "I'm first!" She was sitting on the disc waiting for a push. The giggles and excitement bring a smile to my face with every push. Hearing the "Wee" and "Higher" makes me happy. I love that swing.

Tay and Ky always find a high group of leaves and they try to stretch their legs at the height of their arc in competition to see who is actually swinging the highest.

Brinlee is not left out. She has to ride the big girl swing. I instruct her to cross her feet and keep them hooked. Hang on tight to the rope and hug it to your chest. She caught right on. She has a giggle that lasts the whole ride!

So where am I going with this narrative about a stupid swing? Well, the swing is hung at the exact level of Brinlee's mouth. Taylee was calling for an underdog. I walked her to the edge of my reach and let her go over my head. I turned, following her, in time to see the swing, and Taylee, smash Brinlee full in the face. She was lifted off the ground with the momentum and flipped in the air. Tay jumped off, crying. I had Brin in my arms trying to get a read on the blood and severity of inner mouth damage. Brinlee is so tough that her crying was minimal. I told the other girls to back off and give her some space. She finally opened her mouth and said, "Tongue hurt." There was a cut on her tongue that fit her two front teeth.

I automatically felt for a similar scar on my own tongue. My first time on a trampoline, Michael had given me more bounce than I could handle. My knees had buckled hitting my chin, causing my front teeth to bite through my tongue. I ate yogurt and milk shakes for two days. On the third morning I had a huge, nasty scab on my tongue. I decided I could handle some Fruit Loops. They were good. They were gone. My scab was gone. Disgusting!

Brinlee didn't bite all the way through her tongue. By evening her cut was hard to find. She ate solid food for dinner. She mentioned once that her tongue hurt. But it didn't keep her off the swing. We still love that swing.

No comments:

Post a Comment