Saturday, September 10, 2011

Allergies

I used to laugh at weak people who blamed a runny nose on allergies. I now have that runny nose and congestion, not from sickness. It must be allergies. What a weakling?

My eyes were burning. They felt so tired, yet I had had 9 hours of restful sleep. My sinuses were congested and stuffed up. My nose was running. I could not speak without sounding like my nose was plugged. I had nothing to blame it on but allergies.

It was Sunday morning. Tara and I were attending the Eden 1st ward for our last time. We had finished moving all our stuff to Pleasant Grove. It was Fast and Testimony meeting.

I have felt the promptings of the Spirit. In the past I have had great experiences where I have acted on the prompting and been blessed accordingly. I have had learning experiences where I have been slow to act, or have found excuses not to act, and I have been blessed accordingly. I have made promises to myself and to the Lord to try to follow the promptings I receive lest He stop sending them.

Well, there I was, in Sacrament Meeting, congested, unable to speak clearly, feeling a strong prompting to get up and bear testimony. I didn't have any great experiences that I wanted to relate. I didn't want to give a public farewell over the pulpit. I shrugged the feeling off, using my allergies as justification.

A few minutes went by. I became very conscious of the fact that I could now breath clearly. I sniffed. My runny nose was gone. I felt an overwhelming feeling that I needed to bear my testimony. I said a silent prayer asking forgiveness for being so weak. I thanked my Father in Heaven for giving me a second chance. I then lunged from my pew, my body still did not want to make the walk to the front of the chapel.

I don't remember what I said. I was bearing testimony for only a few minutes. I am not sure if my words touched anyone. However, I do remember that for those few minutes I had a total relief from my allergies. I spoke clearly. I didn't sniffle. I followed the Spirit. I learned a valuable lesson. My testimony was strengthened.

As I finished, I walked back down to my place next to my wife, with a smile on my face.....and my nose began to run anew.

No comments:

Post a Comment