Wednesday, August 31, 2011

I Love To See The Temple

I grew up a California boy...but having been born in SLC and currently raising my kids here in Utah, I have grown to love it. One of the biggest pluses about living here is the number of temples along the Wasatch front. There are 9 if you count Logan, Ogden, Bountiful, Salt Lake, Jordan River, Draper, Oquirrh Mountain, Timpanogos, and Provo. I have driven the Wasatch many times with my kids. I point out the Temples and offer prizes if they can name them. (However, presently, they are too good at it...I can't afford the prizes they would win.)

One evening drive the Spirit touched us as we passed the Salt Lake temple. We all joined our voices singing, I Love To See The Temple. It was great. The Spirit filled our van and we all felt an immense love toward the Lord and His temples.

That started a tradition. The kids will break out in song as they spot the Angel Moroni on the Temple spire. I love that song, especially when sung by small, innocent, little girl voices.

About 3 years ago, I was going through a tough period in my life. Tara was not living with us. I was in the apartment above the garage next to her parents house in Eden. I had just gotten a job at Automated Structures. I was driving home from work. It had been a long day. I enjoyed that job, but I had so many things that were up in the air, being juggled, with no known outcome, that I was stressed out and struggling to find peace.

The road construction did not help my sour mood. I couldn't take a straight shot home. I had the radio on loud, to a station that played harder music, fitting for my pitiful state of being.

I found myself going up hill, east on the via-duct over the railroad tracks on 21st street. As I cleared the summit I spied the Angel Moroni on the Ogden Temple. The Spirit yelled at me to turn off the radio. I immediately obeyed and my car was flooded with the comfort of the Spirit testifying to me that all would be well. My eyes teared up. I was sobbing as I pulled over next to the sacred Temple. Alone, with a cracking voice, I sang our song, "I love to see the temple..."

I knew then, as I know now, that the Savior is watching over me. He knows the details of my life. I need to seek after Him, but every once in a while, He will send me a tender mercy as a reminder that He is here by my side. I will find peace and happiness in Him, living His gospel.

I said a prayer of thanksgiving and smiled the rest of the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment