Thursday, August 18, 2011

Decisions

I have been taught well the correct method in making important decisions. The Lord does not want us to council with him on tomorrow's breakfast. On the other hand, there are some decisions we make lightly that perhaps we should have brought before the Lord.

I will tell you of a decision that I recently made. I will not divulge the exact nature of the decision, but I will explain the details of the process.

My mind and heart was heavy with the weight of eternal consequences of this decision. I did not want to get this one wrong. I went to the temple in an effort to prepare myself to make this decision. I then began to council. I sought advice from parents, spouse, friends and family. I looked to outside professionals. I counseled with my loving Bishop. I fasted. I prayed. I read scripture: modern day writings from the brethren, the Book of Mormon and the Bible. I weighed both sides of the decision. I would study the gospel concerning one choice and my mind would be made up. Then I would study the gospel concerning the other side of the choice and I would rethink my decision. I had my choice firmly made on 3 different occasions. I felt it was right.

I then set up a time the following day to attend the temple. I spent the night in on and off prayer and contemplation. At one point during the night I wrestled with Satan. I finally understand, having caught a glimpse of what it would have been like for him, how Joseph Smith felt wrestling with Satan in the Grove. As he did, I called upon the name of my Savior for deliverance. Satan did not want me entering the sacred temple to make this decision. I knelt on bended knees. I prayed for guidance. My heart was changed. I solidified this new decision as the one I would take before the Lord in His temple.

I slept.

I prepared physically in appearance and dress, then I drove to the Temple. Stepping onto the side walk an overwhelming spirit of confirmation filled my soul. As I contemplated in the Chapel, I again received confirmation in the affirmative of my decision. I was showered with personal revelation as I sat through the session. As I then entered the celestial room the weight of the decision was lifted from my shoulders as I received, for the 3rd time, an affirmative spiritual confirmation that my decision was pleasing unto the Lord.

I am so thankful for the gospel.

Now, I pray for strength to follow through, and act on the decision I have made.

1 comment:

  1. My dear sweet Ryan,
    I am extremely grateful that you are a righteous preisthood holder, that has been taught well by wonderful parents! Our girls are so blessed to have such an amazing father! I am envious that you are worthy to attend the temple, at the same time I am full of respect and gratitude. Had you not been worthy, I am pretty sure I know what the outcome of your decision would be. Again, thank you for living a righteous life and setting such a great example for me and the girls. I look up to you with the utmost respect and love. I look forward to spending eternity with you in the celestial kingdom!

    ReplyDelete