My first memory of Jeremey is at church. We were young. I would be wrong to even guess at age. I remember one of our leaders talking with Jeremey and making the sign for hamburger, pressing palms together, first one hand on top, then switching. We all knew his name and the sign for it. Hook the little finger in a swoosh motion, holding it near your heart. I grew some courage and approached Jeremey after class. I made the two signs I knew. "Jeremey, Hamburger." He smiled. He laughed. He pointed back at me and mouthed, "You, Hamburger!" We went back and forth calling each other hamburger and laughing far longer than I expected.
This was also the first time I remember his voice. He can't hear himself talk, so when he speaks he just makes noise and mouths the word to mimic normal people. The outcome is a grunt that may sound like the word he is signing. Hamburger, when he said it was more like "ambuggugguggugg".
It was way too easy to make fun of Jeremey, to his face or behind his back.
Recently I heard a story of an autistic, Mormon kid and a down syndrome, Mormon kid. The parents of the autistic child wanted a Patriarchal Blessing for their kid. The Bishop said there was no need as the child is innocent and sinless. These parents then spoke with the parents of the down syndrome kid. He had already received a blessing. It stated something to this effect. "You were on the front line of the war in heaven. You were one of the great who helped escort Satan from the Father's presence. Satan swore personal revenge upon you for the part you played in his being cast out. Having already proven yourself to the Father, you were sent to earth to receive a body, but given down syndrome as a form of protection, so that Satan would have no power to tempt you."
This is not canonized gospel, but it makes sense. I wonder if it extends to the deaf and blind? I wonder what role Jeremey played in heaven? I wonder where I stood during the war?
I have a watch-band indent on my wrist. I forgot to take it off.
No comments:
Post a Comment