Saturday, May 28, 2011

Too Little Too Late

When Michael was on his mission, I started to really get excited to follow in his footsteps. It was the neatest feeling to get personal mail from him to me! I started to focus more on the gospel. I began to read the Book of Mormon on my own. It was at this time in my life that I tried to explain to Jeremey about my decision to serve a mission.

Jeremey
would come to church when we were younger. He would sit through the meetings. At times a member of the 3rd ward would sit in with him and sign to him, translating the meeting. I just figured that he, Jeremey, had somewhat of an understanding of the gospel.

I was shocked, jaw-dropped and confused. At 18 years of age, he had no idea who Joseph Smith was. He did not own a copy of the Book of Mormon. Jesus Christ was the name we used to finish a prayer, nothing more. Explaining the gospel basics in sign language was beyond my ability. I went for paper and pencil. On our living room couch I taught the story of Joseph Smith for my first time. A 10 minute lesson took over an hour but we felt the Spirit testify. I felt that swelling testimony in my heart and I was so happy. But, at the same time, I was so sad that Jeremey was so far behind in understanding and I had so little time left with him. I wonder if he would know the answer if I asked him today, "Who translated the golden plates?"

No comments:

Post a Comment