Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Church Fridge

When ever I remember this past experience I laugh, then cringe, then pray for forgiveness.

The refrigerator at the church always held a surprise. Kristin and I, and sometimes Jared, would raid the fridge. Usually after church, but occasionally during Sunday school, we would go into the kitchen to see what may be left over from the latest wedding, fireside, or church event. I remember eating cake, cookies, salads, and always some sort of punch. We would take sacrament cups in with us to dip into the punch bowl. We took a box of crackers into the media room where the TV's and VCR's were stored. We hooked up an antennae and watched a football game. I didn't even care much for football back then. We would sneak into the Sacrament preparation room and take left-over bread.

One fine Sabbath morning, Kristin and I felt like cutting our Sunday school class. We raided the fridge to find a jackpot! Sitting there in a halo of light were two two-liter bottles of soda, non-caffeinated of course. We snuck the find into the boys bathroom. We had a few swigs. We were afraid that someone would wander in and hear us chugging down the liquid goodness, so we migrated to the dressing room. The further we went the safer we felt. We ended up sitting in the bottom of the Baptismal Font. We drank until we could hold no more. We didn't want to lose the last third of our drinks, so we left them there to find the following week.

We forgot about the soda for two weeks, but it hadn't moved. We again sat in the font and finished our now flat treasure.

Which sin do you think was the worst? Stealing? Ditching class? Defiling a sacred font?

No comments:

Post a Comment