Friday, June 3, 2011

Kevin

Kevin didn't like Jeremey.

Kevin was a runt. He was small. He was cute. He acquired the little dog, big bark attitude. He didn't let people push him around.

We teased Jeremey about everything. Deaf. Weak. Speech. Signing. His clothes.

I taught him the common phrase, "You are ugly and your Mama dresses you funny." He still remembers that one and laughs.

We called him retard and faggot. We tried to teach him what faggot meant. "You like boys!"

I realize now that to his simple understanding, liking boys was normal and OK. Like to him meant friendship, not love.

We got out the newspaper. Flipping to the ads we easily found underwear. Men in boxers. Women in bra and panties. "You like boys!" Pointing this time at the picture. We were educating the deaf kid.

So, when Jeremey innocently told me that he had a dream and Kevin was in it, I blew it out of proportion. "You like Kevin!"
"Yes." Confused look.
"You think Kevin is cute!"
"Yes." An "Of course, he is so little" look. Still not understanding our "Gay" comments.

Kevin was red and livid when I told him Jeremey had a homosexual dream about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment